Sunday, March 07, 2010

a glimpse of the kitchen



This is a picture of the wall above the stove. As you can see, I still have the yellow tile that I described in detail here. I'm ok with it for now, but when it is gone, I will be so, so happy!
I have my pots and pans hanging on the wall--I wanted a baker's rack, but David said that it would be hanging too close to the stove and everything would get covered with grease. Yuck! So, I made my own baker's hangers using 2 black plant hangers I found at Kmart. They were a lot more economical and definitely take up less room!

I painted the "P" plate at a local pottery place. It was so much fun, I would love to paint plates for the entire house! But, speaking of economical, that's probably not the best idea. :) The other two monograms are David's and my initials and they were done using the same Black Adder font. Only this time, I just Mod Podge-d them onto some $.25 plates I got at the Rescue Mission. I had to darken the letters by coloring them with black permanent marker after I "cut" them out by outlining them heavily with a ballpoint pen. Yes, that was probably a weird way to do it, but at least it made the edges as softly jagged as I wanted them, as opposed to the horribly jagged job that I would have done with an Exacto.
And the adorable little cookbook that's framed in the middle is one my mom got at an antique shop. She told me that Mimi used to have one just like it! I just love that.
Well, that's a glimpse of my kitchen. More to come later.

6 comments:

Heather said...

So cute! I can't wait to see your house (either via blog or in person) one day.

Leah said...

I love the pot hooks. What a great idea! And your plates look so cute!

Miss Debbie said...

I think I was with your mom when she bought that cookbook. Cute way to display it!

Karen said...

I think you might just revolutionize the hanging of pots with your new idea! It's great!!!

Saige said...

Thanks for the nice comments, folks! Yes, Miss Debbie, that is the one she bought when y'all went to the antique shop. Mom actually framed it and gave it to me as part of my Christmas present.

Debbie B said...

I really like the idea of plant hangers for your pots and pans!!

And, I like yellow (snicker).

Blessings,
Debbie